Easter is a time for indulging in your favourite treats – and now, even those following a gluten-free diet can join in the fun! Our delicately spiced gluten-free hot cross buns are packed with yummy dried fruit. No one has to miss out on this classic Easter treat.
Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 7 g dried yeast
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 1¾ cups sorghum flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoons psyllium husk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 cup dried mixed fruit
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 300 ml coconut milk warm
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- ¼ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- Combine yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until mixture has begun to foam.
- In a large bowl add dry ingredients. Stir to combine then make a well in the centre. Add coconut milk, oil, egg and yeast mixture. Stir until combined, then cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside somewhere warm for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 220°C and line a lamington pan with baking paper. Divide mixture into 8-equal sized balls and place in the prepared pan. Try placing the balls in the centre of the pan leaving space around the edges for the balls to grow. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for another hour.
- Make the crosses by combining flour and water in a small bowl to make a paste. Spoon the mixture into a snack-sized zip-lock bag and pipe a line vertically and horizontally across the buns.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until buns are golden brown and cooked through.
- To prepare the glaze, press jam through a sieve to remove all lumps. Stir through boiling water. Use a pastry brush to coat buns and serve warm.