Are you looking for a quick and easy way to make a delicious meal that will impress your family or guests? Look no further than a tray bake! This one-pan wonder is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want to create a mouth-watering dish without spending hours in the kitchen. Simply layer your favorite ingredients in a shallow tray or baking dish, pop it in the oven and let the magic happen!
For this roasted onion & chicken tray bake chicken is cooked over the onions and sweet potato to allow all the juices to drip down and soak into the vegetables making them into a delicious one pan dinner.
Roasted Onion & Chicken Tray Bake
- 1 x good quality free range whole chicken
- 2 red onions cut into wedges
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into similar sized wedges to the onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 250 ml dry white wine
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- To butterfly the chicken, place it onto a chopping board breast side down so you are looking at the backbone. Using some good quality kitchen scissors, cut either side of the backbone and remove it. Once the backbone has been removed open the chicken out like a book and flatten it out on your chopping board. Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Butterflying the chicken allows the chicken to cook much quicker.
- In a baking tray combine the onions, sweet potatoes and rosemary and coat well with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the wine.
- Take the chicken and put it on top of the vegetables flattened out and breast side up. You can rub a little olive oil over the skin and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tray in the oven and roast for 45 minutes. When the chicken is cooked the juices from the chicken run clear when sticking a knife in the thigh. Remove the chicken from the vegetables and place to rest with some aluminium foil over the top. Baste the onions and sweet potato with the pan juices and return to the oven for a further 20 mins or until they are nicely caramelised and the sweet potato is yielding.
- Serve with a green salad and the juices from the pan.