Indulge your sweet tooth with this decadent Chocolate Royal Torte. Perfect for any chocolate lover, layers of crispy meringue sandwiched between chocolate and cream, all topped off with a generous sprinkling of cocoa powder. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply treating yourself to a well-deserved indulgence, this Chocolate Royal Torte is a showstopper that is sure to impress.
Chocolate Royal Torte
CINNAMON MERINGUE SHELL
- 4 egg whites
- 375 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
CHOCOLATE LAYER FILLING
- 185 g semi-sweetened chocolate
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup water
- 300 ml regular pouring cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- whipped cream
- fresh cherries or berries chopped
- hazelnuts chocolate shavings,
- sifted gluten-free cocoa powder
- Meringue shell: cover a baking tray with a piece of baking paper. Draw a 20cm circle in the centre. Grease paper well on both sides.
- Add a pinch of salt to egg whites and beat until stiff. Gradually beat in half the sugar, adding it one dessertspoon at a time. Fold in remaining sugar and add vinegar and cinnamon.
- Spread this meringue within the circle on paper, making the bottom about 2cm thick.
- Now mound the remainder around the edges, making it about 5cm thick. For a trim, make ridges around the outside with the back of a teaspoon.
- Bake in a slow oven for 1–1¼ hours, or until meringue has set. Leave to cool completely.
- Chocolate layer filling: melt the chocolate over a pan of hot water, cool slightly. Spread 3 tablespoons of this mixture on the bottom and up the insides of the cooked and cooled meringue shell.
- To the remaining chocolate add egg yolks and water and blend well.
- Cook over a double saucepan until chocolate custard thickens. Chill.Cream filling: beat cream, sugar and cinnamon until thick.
- Spread half over the meringue shell. Fold the remainder into chocolate custard mixture, which you spread on top. Chill several hours, or overnight.
- To decorate: top with a little more whipped cream and decorate as desired.
- TIP : This recipe is better if prepared the day before and left to chill overnight in refrigerator.