This is a lovely fresh salad of simple ingredients with great complementary flavours. Poaching the chicken in coconut milk is a clever method to prevent it drying out. You can keep the poaching liquid (which can be frozen) and just add paste to make a quick curry.
Poached Chicken Salad with Nashi Pear
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 5 makrut lime leaves
- 1 bunch watercress
- 2 nashi pears julienned
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 avocados halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Put the chicken breasts, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and lime leaves in a small pan, just large enough to fit. Bring to a gentle simmer and poach for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat and leave to cool in the poaching liquid. Finely shred the chicken (save the poaching liquid if you want to use it again).
- Toss together the watercress, nashi pear and chilli flakes in a large bowl. Add the chicken and avocado and season well.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil to make a dressing and drizzle over the salad. Serve with lime wedges.