Discover just how easy (and delicous) it is to make wontons at home with our recipe for gluten-free chicken wontons.
Chicken & Ginger Wontons
- 2 cups gluten-free plain flour plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon Kfibre see note
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 spring onions roughly chopped
- 150 g wombok thinly sliced
- 300 g chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 5 cm piece garlic grated
- Rice bran oil for cooking
- Gluten-free sweet chilli sauce or plum sauce to serve (optional)
- Place flour and Kfibre in a large bowl. Add eggs and warm water. Stir to combine.
- Use your hands to work the mixture into a smooth ball. Place in a plastic sandwich bag and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare to prepare the filling, heat sesame oil over a large frying-pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and spring onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add cabbage and sauté until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add mince, sherry, soy sauce and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Place have of the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Use a rolling pin to get the dough as thing as possible. Use a knife to cut into 7cm squares. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place a teaspoon of filling into the centre of each square, fold in half to form a triangle, pressing on edges to seal. Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
- Pour enough oil in to a large frying pan to come halfway up the sides. Heat over high heat. Fry dumplings 4 or 5 at a time, until golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel before serving.