Portobella mushrooms (also known as portabello) are large, mature mushrooms that have been allowed to grow to their fullest size. They have a rich, earthy flavour and a dense, chewy texture that makes them a popular meat substitute in vegetarian and vegan dishes. They can be grilled, roasted, sautéed, or used in soups, stews and salads.
In this recipe they have been stuffed with cheese, tomatoes and fresh basil for a fresh and healthy vegie-packed (and naturally gluten-free) twist on pizza.
- ⅓ cup 80ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 12 Portabella mushrooms
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes quartered
- 120 g goat’s cheese
- 1 cup small basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200°C Combine the oil with the garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture over the mushrooms on an oven tray lined with lightly greased foil.
- Roast mushrooms for 5 minutes, then top with the tomatoes and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn the grill onto high. Crumble over the goats’ cheese and place under the grill for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes and goat’s cheese is lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven. Scatter with the basil leaves and drizzle with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.