Looking for a hearty and delicious meal that’s both vegan and packed with flavour? This recipe for Lentil-Chocolate Chilli is the perfect winter warmer.
Vegan Lentil–Chocolate Chilli
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ yellow capsicum
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- 100 g brown lentils
- 200 g cubed red kuri or butternut pumpkin
- 100 g drained rinsed tinned sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 200 g tinned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Broth Paste see below
- ½ bunch coriander
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vegan sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated gluten-free vegan dark chocolate
- 80 percent cocoa
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Dice the capsicum.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cumin, paprika, thyme and chilli paste and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then add them to the pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the kuri or pumpkin, capsicum, corn and cacao and mix well. Add the tomatoes, 250ml (1 cup) water and the broth paste and bring the mixture to the boil. Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the coriander.
- Remove the chilli from the heat and divide between two bowls. Top with the sour cream, coriander and chocolate and serve.
MAKES ABOUT 500G | PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
Per serving (1 tablespoon): 3 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g fat, 0.5 g carbohydrates
100 g chopped leek
100 g chopped carrots
100 g chopped parsnips
100 g chopped celeriac
60 g parsley
90 g sea salt
- Place all of the vegetables in a blender along with the parsley and salt and blend at high speed until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for weeks or even months—if you can keep yourself from gobbling it up!