A breakfast strata is a layered casserole dish that typically includes bread, eggs, cheese and other ingredients such as vegetables, meat, or herbs. It is usually prepared the night before and baked in the morning, making it a perfect make-ahead breakfast option for busy mornings or for serving a crowd.
With gluten-free bread and chorizo (always check ingredients to ensure gluten-free), our Gluten-Free Breakfast Strata is easy to prepare. You can substitute smoked salmon for the chorizo if catering for pescatarians or add fried mushrooms (drain excess liquid) for a vegetarian version.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 250 g baby spinach
- 260 g gluten-free chorizo sliced into rounds
- 3 slices gluten-free bread cubed
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- flat-leaf parsley to serve optional
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and sauté until soft. Add spinach and cook, stirring until wilted. Transfer vegetables to a sieve and use the back of a wooden spoon to remove excess liquid, then arrange vegetables in a square 24cm baking dish.
- Return frying pan to the heat and cook chorizo slices for 2 minutes on each side. Arrange in casserole dish along with bread pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard and cheeses, then pour over vegetables in the casserole dish. Cover with aluminium foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove casserole dish from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Bake strata uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Serve immediately.