This warming gluten-free lentil stew is perfect for cold nights and is ready in just 30 minutes. It’s vegan friendly and low in fat. We know it will soon become a gluten-free family favourite.
Gluten-Free Lentil Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 400 g canned brown lentils
- 4 pieces bread gluten-free, crusts removed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and potatoes. Sauté for 3 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable stock and herbs. Bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are cook.
- Puree mixture until a thick soup consistency is achieved. Season to taste. Add lentils and bread cubes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. The bread will begin to break up and thicken the stew. Serve.
Photography: Brandee Meier