This dairy and gluten-free loaf is packed with protein thanks to amaranth, a highly nutritious ancient grain.
- 1 cup amaranth cooked
- 2 cups plain flour gluten-free
- 4 tablespoons custard powder gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons baking powder gluten-free
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup banana mashed (approx 1 medium banana)
- ½ cup medjool dates pitted and chopped
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a large loaf tin (23.2x13cm).
- Prepare amaranth according to directions on the packet. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of custard powder in a one-cup measuring cup. Fill with plain flour.
- Place mix in a bowl and repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons of custard powder and plain flour.
- To the flour add baking powder, walnuts and dates. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine bananas, honey, eggs, olive oil and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add pre-prepared amaranth and mix well. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for one hour.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let amaranth loaf cool on rack.
Photography: Brandee Meier