This dairy and gluten-free loaf is packed with protein thanks to amaranth, a highly nutritious ancient grain.
Prep Time 5 minutes(+ amaranth cooking time)
Cooking Time 60 minutes
1 cup cooked amaranth
2 cups gluten-free plain flour
4 tablespoons gluten-free custard powder
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup banana, mashed (approx 1 medium banana)
½ cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
½ cup honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a large loaf tin (23.2x13cm).
- Prepare amaranth according to directions on the packet. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of custard powder in a one-cup measuring cup. Fill with plain flour. Place mix in a bowl and repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons of custard powder and plain flour.
- To the flour add baking powder, walnuts and dates. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, combine bananas, honey, eggs, olive oil and vanilla. Beat until combined. Add pre-prepared amaranth and mix well. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for one hour. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let amaranth loaf cool on rack.
Photography: Brandee Meier