The ancient Ethiopian grain teff is naturally gluten-free and full of nutrients. This teff salad is a great way to introduce this superfood into your diet.
Serves 4 (as a side)
Fresh Green Teff Salad
- ½ cup Teff Tribe brown teff grain
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium cucumbers shaved into long ribbons
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup toasted seeds pumpkin & pinenuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeded or dijon, gluten-free
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar or any vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon stevia if you’d like to sweeten it
- Pour the teff into a medium sized pot, add the water plus a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, with lid on and leave for 6 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes (lid on) before taking a fork and fluffing the teff.
- Add all of the salad dressing ingredients into a jar and shake until it turns into a smooth, slightly thick consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the teff, cucumber, spinach, avocado and seeds.
- Mix well and drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Gluten-Free Recipe: Arna Macalister-Knight and Teff Tribe