A royal British classic gets a vegan makeover in this recipe for Coronation Chickpea Salad. Creamy, sweet and spicy, this salad is packed with flavour and can be served on its own, in lettuce ‘cups’. It also makes an amazing filling for a gluten-free sandwich.
Coronation Chickpea Salad
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free Vegan Mayonnaise or plain vegan yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon mild gluten-free curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free garlic granules a pinch of sea salt
- 25 g raisins
- 25 g flaked almonds
- a small handful of coriander leaves, roughly torn
- 2 heads of little gem lettuce, leaves separated and washed, to serve
- Put the chickpeas, mayonnaise or yoghurt, chutney, curry powder, vinegar, garlic granules and salt into a large mixing bowl and, using a potato masher, roughly mash and mix together until half the chickpeas are crushed and the rest are left whole, for a chunky texture. Stir in the raisins, almonds and coriander leaves.
- Spoon the salad into lettuce leaves to serve them in little ‘cups’. Alternatively, shred the lettuce and mix it into the salad and serve in a bowl.