Our vegie turnovers are a tasty gluten-free treat the whole family can enjoy. They can be eaten hot from the oven or cold from your lunchbox. If you’re entertaining, cut them in half for a delicious canape that will disappear in minutes!
- 200g potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (we used Zest Sri Lankan Spice Paste)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 gluten-free wraps
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Tomato sauce, to serve (optional)
- Cook potato and sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery mushrooms and carrot. Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until onion is soft and golden. Add remaining vegetables and stock. Cook, for a further 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and stock has been absorbed.
- Transfer the contents of the frying pan to the pot containing the potatoes. Use a handheld potato masher to roughly mash the vegetables. Stir to combine through curry paste
- and season to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C and line 2 baking trays with
- baking paper.
- Cut wraps in half and place heaped tablespoons of mixture into the centre of each wrap. Brush edges with egg. Fold up sides to enclose filling. Press edges to seal and transfer onto tray. Brush top with egg and repeat with remaining filling and wraps.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold, with tomato sauce if desired.
This recipe for Vegie Turnovers first appeared in Issue 12 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine. For more yum cha inspired gluten-free recipes pick up a copy today.
Vegie Turnovers – Recipe by Cara Boatswain and Photography by Brandee Meier