This dairy-free custard cake is budget friendly at just $0.73 a serve. Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin and marvel as it works its way into two delicious layers in the oven.
Dairy-Free Zingy Custard Cake
- 4 eggs separated
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely-grated lemon rind
- ¾ cup gluten-free plain flour
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 400 ml coconut milk
- ¼ cup gluten-free icing sugar to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Place egg yolks, sugar and lemon rind in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and frothy.
- Add ¼ cup plain flour and beat with electric mixer on low until just combined. Keep the mixer running and slowly add melted margarine and lemon juice, followed by another ¼ cup of plain flour.
- Heat the coconut milk in the microwave for 30 seconds or until lukewarm. Add to the mixing bowl with remaining flour and beat on low speed until combined.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl and use a spatula to gently fold through the mixture. Pour into lined cake tin and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a golden crust has formed on top of your cake.