Come with us on a trip to Paris as we give a classic French treat a gluten-free makeover.
Madeleines are delicate, shell-shaped cakes that are the perfect accompaniment to your morning coffee or afternoon tea. Our dairy-free mocha madeleines are sure to transport you to a Parisian café with just one bite. But don’t worry, you don’t need to be a master baker to make these delightful treats. With a few simple ingredients and our easy-to-follow recipe, you can bring the taste of France to your own kitchen.
- 90 g dairy-free margarine
- ¾ cup gluten-free plain flour
- ¼ cup gluten-free cocoa
- pinch salt
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled we used a long black
- spray oil for greasing
- 50 g dark chocolate
- ¼ cup crushed pistachios
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and place in the fridge for 5 minutes to cool.
- Sift flour, cocoa and salt into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and stir.
- Remove melted margarine from the fridge and add vanilla, eggs and cooled coffee. Whisk to combine, then pour into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to beat until just combined. Let batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and grease a Madeleine pan with spray oil. Fill each hole with a heaped teaspoon of batter and spread to level. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the centre has risen and springs back with gently touched.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for a minute, before transferring to a wire rack.
- When madeleines have cooled, melt chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat. Dip madeleines in melted chocolate and sprinkle with pistachios. Let chocolate set before serving.