Throw away your takeaway menus and make this easy homemade vegan fried rice with tofu instead. It’s so much healthier than restaurant versions, but just as satisfying. You’ll have it on the table before UberEats can make it to your door too.
Vegan Fried Rice Bowls With Tofu
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup gluten-free hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- a few shakes of sriracha optional, ensure gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 red capsicum seeded and diced
- 1 cup snow peas halved
- 3 spring onions diced
- 1/2 cup sweet green peas
- 4 cups leftover cooked brown rice
- 400 g tofu drained, sliced and fried
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- Whisk together the tamari, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and sriracha, if using, in a small bowl or measuring cup and set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, capsicum and snow peas. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until just starting to soften. You want the veggies to retain their fresh flavour and still give a nice crunch, so don’t overcook!
- Add the spring onions and sweet peas and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the sauce to the veggies and stir to coat. Add the rice and stir until evenly coated in the sauce. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, divide the fried rice among 6 bowls. Top with fried tofu and a few more dashes of sriracha if you like the heat. Drizzle with sesame oil, if using, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.