Qukes® are baby cucumbers that are usually between 8 and 10cm in length. Looks for Qukes® with bright-green skins and a firm, fresh appearance. They are available year-round from Coles, Woolworths and selected independent retail outlets.
Dip them, munch them or get creative with them, Qukes® are a versatile vegetable. They pair perfectly with tomato, mint, feta and lemon, so are a great addition to salad and summer side dishes. This recipe from Avocado tzatziki is a clever way to get more vegetables into your day!
- 500 g Greek yoghurt
- 250 g Qukes® halved lengthways
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- ½ small garlic clove crushed
- 1 large avocado mashed
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free dukkah
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Micro herbs to garnish
- 1 bunch coloured Dutch carrots trimmed, scrubbed and scrubbed
- Gluten-free crackers to serve
- Spoon the yoghurt into a sieve lined with muslin.Place over a bowl, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.Discard the liquid.
- Use a teaspoon to scrape the seeds from the Qukes® then coarsely grate them.
- Combine the yoghurt, Qukes®, mint, garlic and avocado in a bowl. Season.
- To serve, spoon avocado tzatziki into bowls, sprinkle over the dukkah. Drizzle with olive oil and scatter over the micro herbs. Serve with baby carrots and gluten-free crackers for dipping.