Steamed Gluten-Free Pork Buns
- 7 g dry instant yeast
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 500 g Senza Gluten-Free Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus extra to grease
- 350 ml luke-warm milk or dairy-free equivalent
- 4 pork sirloin fillets
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- First, make the dough. Combine yeast and sugar in a bowl. Whisk to combine, then set aside for 5 minutes, or until frothy.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a bread hook. Stir to combine. Add yeast mixture, oil and milk and beat on low until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes. Grease a large bowl with oil and transfer dough to bowl. Set aside for 45 minutes to proof.
- While mixture proofs, prepare filling. Dice pork into 2cm cubes.
- Combine honey, sherry, soy and oyster sauces, five-spice and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add pork and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Add sauce and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer mixture for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide dough into 15 equal-sized balls. Flatten in your palm and place a spoon of filling into the centre. Enclose dough around filling and roll in hands to create a ball. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place a large saucepan on the stove and 1/3 fill with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Line a large bamboo steamer with baking paper and place over saucepan. Arrange 4 buns into the steamer. Cover with steamer lid. Cook for 8 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining buns. Serve.
Image: Brandee Meier Photography