Salt and Pepper Tofu with Asian Slaw
Gluten-free cooking doesn’t always mean lots of ingredients. Our salt and pepper tofu uses pantry ingredients to create a simple meal that is full of flavour.
SALT AND PEPPER TOFU
250g firm tofu
¼ cup gluten-free plain flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ teaspoons pepper
Rice bran oil, for frying
400g supermarket coleslaw mix
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons tamari
2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Cut tofu into 4 equal size pieces. Wrap in paper towel and place under a plate to drain. Leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Combine Asian slaw ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Once tofu has drained, cut each slice into 6 equal pieces.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and pepper and toss tofu to coat.
- In a frying pan place enough oil to cover the tofu pieces and bring to a high heat. Drop a little flour into the oil and if it begins to sizzle, the oil is hot enough for the tofu. Place tofu pieces in oil and fry each side until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel. Serve immediately with Asian slaw.
This gluten-free recipe appeared in Issue 5 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine pick up a copy today for more simple gluten-free meal ideas.
Recipe: Cara Boatswain
Photography: Brandee Meier Photography