Low-Carb Mince Pies
These low-carb mince pies are the perfect end to the Christmas meal or just as a treat with only 4g carbohydrate per serve. The fruit mince tastes even better if made a week before and refrigerated ready for use. Freezes well. Lovely served just warm. Ensure the cream cheese is at room temperature.
150g red apple, fresh, skin on, grated
85g dried apricots, diced
40g cranberries, fresh or frozen
150ml apple juice, 100% juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch mixed spice
1 teaspoon sugar substitute of choice or xylitol
1 tablespoon brandy
250g almond meal
2 tablespoons sugar-free, gluten-free maple flavoured syrup
30ml melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons sugar substitute of choice or xylitol
60g cream cheese, regular fat
TO MAKE THE PASTRY
- Combine 2 teaspoons of orange zest with all the other ingredients and mix until a firm dough is formed. Roll out thinly between two sheets of baking paper and allow to rest.
TO MAKE THE FRUIT MINCE
- Place a teaspoon of orange zest and the remaining ingredients, except the brandy, in a saucepan. Cover and simmer over a gentle heat for about 60 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat, drain and add the brandy. Allow to cool. Refrigerate at this point if making ahead.
- Mix the remaining teaspoon of orange zest with the cream cheese until it is smooth and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Grease the pie tins and cut the pastry into circles large enough to line the tins.
- Place ½ teaspoon of cream cheese mixture into the bottom of each tin and then fill to the top with the cooled fruit mince mixture.
- Cut out the remaining pastry to form a star on the pies.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool before removing from the tins. Store in an air tight container.
This gluten-free recipe is from the new cookbook: carbs by numbers low carb recipe options – Christmas by Sandra Dunbar and Meg Pell.