Avoid the evening ‘what’s for dinner?’ panic and invest in a slow-cooker. There’s nothing better than coming home to dinner ready to serve. Our slow cooker beef stew is a great place to start.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Cheesy Polenta
- Slow Cooker
- BEEF STEW
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tomato paste
- 3 carrots halved and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 250 g button mushrooms halved
- 400 g tin gluten-free whole tomatoes
- 1 cup 250ml gluten-free beef stock
- ½ cup 125ml dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cornflour
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 900 g braising beef
- handful flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- CHEESY POLENTA
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup polenta
- 11/2 cups (150g) grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup (63g) butter
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Transfer onion mixture to a slow cooker. Add remaining stew ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- To prepare the cheesy polenta place milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce temperature to medium. Gradually add polenta while whisking continuously.
- Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan with lid and cook for 30 minutes or until mixture is smooth and creamy. You’ll need to whisk the mixture every 10 minutes to ensure polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir through Parmesan and butter. Season to taste and serve immediately.