Rowie’s Victoria Sponge
Australia’s queen of gluten-free cooking, Rowie Dillon, gives the traditional Victoria Sponge Cake a gluten-free makeover. The whole family will love Rowie’s Victoria Sponge.
Rowie’s Victoria Sponge recipes is extracted from The Power of Flour by Rowie Dillon, New Holland, $35.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 250g potato starch
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 150ml pouring cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 150g fresh strawberries, hulled
- Gluten-free icing sugar, for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 190˚C.
- Use electric beaters to beat the butter and the sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the lemon zest.
- Sift together the potato starch and baking powder and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden and risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack then turn out to decorate.
- Place the cream, vanilla beans and sugar in a mixing bowl and use electric beaters to beat on high speed until thick. Fold in the strawberries. Place the cream on top of one of the cakes and spread just to the edges with a palette knife or spatula. Allow the cream to gradually fall down the cake, top with strawberries and dust with icing sugar.