Gluten-free finger food doesn’t have to been bland. Our roast pumpkin arancini balls are perfect for entertaining.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
150g pumpkin cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cups arborio rice
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock hot
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 cup plain gluten-free plain flour
3 eggs, beaten with a little milk
2-3 cups store bought gluten-free breadcrumbs
Rice bran oil for deep-frying
- Preheat oven to 180º C. Roast pumpkin on a lined baking tray turning every 5 minutes until browned.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, do no brown. Add rice stir for a couple of minutes.
- Start adding stock, a ladle at a time, stirring until all stock is absorbed and rice cooked.
- Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan, followed by egg then set aside to cool.
- Combine risotto with pumpkin, pine nuts and parsley, mix well. The roll risotto mixture into bite-sized balls.
- Set up a crumbing station with the flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Dredge each ball with flour, roll in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs, covering well
- When all the balls are crumbed, deep-fry until golden and crisp. Drain and serve hot.
Roast Pumpkin Arancini Balls: Photo by Brandee Meier