Gluten-free finger food doesn’t have to been bland. Our roast pumpkin arancini balls are perfect for entertaining.
Roast Pumpkin Arancini Balls
- 150 g pumpkin cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock hot
- 1/4 cup Parmesan grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 1 cup plain flour gluten-free
- 3 eggs beaten with a little milk
- 2-3 cups breadcrumbs store bought gluten-free
- Rice bran oil for deep-frying
- Preheat oven to 180º C. Roast pumpkin on a lined baking tray turning every 5 minutes until browned.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, do no brown. Add rice stir for a couple of minutes.
- Start adding stock, a ladle at a time, stirring until all stock is absorbed and rice cooked.
- Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan, followed by egg then set aside to cool.
- Combine risotto with pumpkin, pine nuts and parsley, mix well. The roll risotto mixture into bite-sized balls.
- Set up a crumbing station with the flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Dredge each ball with flour, roll in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs, covering well
- When all the balls are crumbed, deep-fry until golden and crisp. Drain and serve hot.
Roast Pumpkin Arancini Balls: Photo by Brandee Meier