Looking for a delicious gluten-free recipe to impress your guests at your next brunch? Look no further than this gluten-free lemon polenta cake. Not only is it gluten-free, it’s also packed with zesty lemon flavour and has a unique texture from the polenta and ground almonds. Serve on a large platter with fresh fruit and fruit compote.
Gluten-Free Lemon Polenta Cake
- 335 g unsalted butter softened, plus extra for greasing
- 335 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 335 g ground almonds
- 165 g polenta
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
FOR THE GROUP PLATTER
- 4 tablespoons thick Greek yoghurt
- 4 teaspoons Berry Compote See notes
- 4 tablespoons Apple Compote See notes
- 150 g blackberries
- 150 g raspberries
- 115 g strawberries washed and halved
- 1 large handful of blueberries
- 2 passion fruit halved
- 1 handful of fresh mint sprigs
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free granola
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a non-stick 25cm round spring-form cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer
- fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on a medium speed for 5–8 minutes until it becomes pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is well incorporated before adding the next one. You will need to scrape down the side of the bowl using a plastic spatula during this process.
- Once all the eggs have been added, lower the speed to a slow pace and add the ground almonds and polenta 1 tablespoon at a time, then mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract along with the lemon zest and juice, then return to a medium speed and continue to mix for a further 3 minutes to ensure all the ingredients are fully incorporated. The mixture should be smooth and have a fluffy consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tin and bake for 45–50 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the group platter, preheat the oven to 150ºC and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place 4 slices of cake onto the prepared baking tray and warm in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and gently cut each slice in half.
- Arrange the cake pieces onto a large serving platter, add the yoghurt, berry and apple compotes. Scatter the berries over the platter, and spoon over the seeds from one of the passion fruit, adding the other passion fruit halves. Add a few mint sprigs, sprinkle with the granola, dust with icing sugar and serve.