Baked eggs are very popular as a Middle Eastern-style brunch. In this recipes for English Breakfast Baked Eggs, they’ve been given a twist, inspired by the traditional fry-up, so you have an English breakfast in one dish. Use heatproof bowls for homely, individual servings.
Gluten-Free English Breakfast Baked Eggs
- 2 good-quality gluten-free pork sausages
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 50 g mixed wild mushrooms sliced
- buttered gluten-free toast to serve
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 rashers gluten-free streaky bacon finely sliced
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 400 g tin gluten-free chopped tomatoes
- 1 sprig thyme
- ½ tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- sea salt and black pepper
- First, make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the sliced bacon for 6–8 minutes until it is golden brown. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan and fry for another 3 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, thyme and caster sugar and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and gently cook for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Set the sauce aside while you prepare the sausage meatballs.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Remove the sausage meat from the skins and roll it into 6 meatballs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs and gently fry them for about 5 minutes, turning during cooking, until they are evenly browned.
- Reheat the tomato sauce until it is hot, then stir in the baby spinach so it wilts in the heat. Divide the sauce between two heatproof bowls, and add 3 meatballs to each one. Crack 2 eggs into each bowl. Place the bowls in the preheated oven and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the egg whites are firm and the yolks are soft.
- While the eggs are baking, prepare the wild mushrooms. Heat the butter and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the baked eggs from the oven and scatter half the mushrooms over each dish. Serve with buttered gluten-free toast.