This cheat’s gluten-free galette has the pastry base cooked separately to the topping, for fail-safe results every time (no soggy bottom on this pastry!). Assemble the galette just before serving to ensure the base remains crisp. Pre-cooked beetroot is a fuss-free way of preparing and enjoying the vegetable, which is delicious with thyme and lemon.
Beetroot, Onion & Thyme Galette
- 1 sheet of ready-rolled gluten- and dairy-free puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced into rings
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves finely chopped
- 300 g vacuum-packed cooked beetroot (about 3 small beetroots, drained of excess juice and thinly sliced
- zest and juice of ¼ unwaxed lemon
- generous pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Unroll the pastry onto a baking tray and roughly fold in the corners and edges to form a 2cm border. Use a fork to prick all over the centre of the pastry, then bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook over a medium–high heat for 4–5 minutes until softened. Scatter in the thyme leaves and cook for a further minute.
- Carefully add the sliced beetroot to the pan and gently fry for 4–5 minutes, without breaking up the slices. Remove from the heat and squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Remove the pastry from the oven, and carefully arrange the beetroot topping over the top. Scatter with the lemon zest and season with sea salt before serving.