Making pies can be fiddly, especially when gluten-free pastry is involved. In this Pumpkin & Feta Pie recipe we save time by using cookie cutters to make shapes from store-bought pastry.
Rustic Pumpkin & Feta Pie
- 750 g pumpkin peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 300 g mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 fresh savoury thyme springs
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 300 g feta crumbled, see note
- 1 small lemon zested
- 35 g toasted pine nuts
- 2 sheets gluten-free puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a 1.5L rectangular baking dish with butter or margarine.
- Place the pumpkin into a large roasting tray. Drizzle with garlic-infused olive oil and bake for 25 minutes or until tender. Transfer pumpkin to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add mushrooms and thyme and sauté until mushroom is cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain liquid from the frying pan then add mushrooms and thyme to the bowl with pumpkin.
- To the bowl add beaten eggs, feta, lemon zest and pine nuts. Stir to combine.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out a pastry sheet to cover the base and sides of your prepared dish. Use a fork to make a few indents in the base, then line with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dry rice or beans. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, remove baking weights and paper. Fill with pumpkin mixture.
- Use different-sized star cookie cutters to make shapes in the remaining sheet of pastry. Lightly brush with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Then arrange on top of pumpkin. Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes or until pastry stars are crisp and golden. Remove from oven and serve.