These delicious oven fajitas with cauliflower tortillas will challenge your family’s expectations of what a fajita “should” be. Creating the fajita seasoning provides a great opportunity to talk about the smell, colour and taste of different spices, while ensuring that it’s gluten-free.
Oven Fajitas with Cauliflower Tortillas
FOR THE FAJITA SEASONING
- 1½ teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE TORTILLAS
- 750 g cauliflower florets
- 2 large free-range eggs
FOR THE SIZZLING FAJITA FILLING
- 200 g chicken breast sliced into strips
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 red capsicums deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of ½ lime
- 30 g fresh coriander roughly chopped
FOR THE SALAD
- 40 g red cabbage thinly sliced
- 4 vine tomatoes halved and sliced
- 2 cos lettuce hearts
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 150 g mild Cheddar cheese grated (optional)
- Mix all the fajita seasoning ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Pop the cauliflower florets into a food processor and blitz until very fine. Spoon the cauliflower into a microwavable bowl and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Scoop it into a clean tea towel over a bowl and bring the corners together, twisting to form a tight bundle. Keep twisting and squeezing to release as much moisture as possible. Get the kids involved – who can squeeze the hardest?
- Place the cauliflower in a mixing bowl with the eggs and 1 tablespoon of the fajita seasoning. Mix well until evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal mounds and place 2 on each baking tray. Use your hands to form each mound into a disc. Press down firmly all over so that each disc is approximately 2.5mm thick. Bake for 20–25 minutes until firm. Allow to cool to room temperature – each should be flexible, like regular tortillas.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the chicken, onion, capsicums,remaining seasoning and oil on a large baking tray and toss well to coat. Spread out in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Transfer to a serving bowl, pour over the lime juice and sprinkle with the coriander.
- Toss the cabbage, tomatoes and lettuce together in a bowl to make the salad. Serve everything with plenty of serving spoons and encourage everyone to dig in!