This recipe for One-Pan Steak has all the elements for an impressive candle-lit date night, but without all the washing up. So here you go, babe. Steak in a pan.
One-Pan Steak, Broccoli and Shrooms
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets with long stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 scotch fillet steaks, butcher-cut 3cm thick, oiled and salted
- 50 g butter
- 100 g field or forest mushrooms, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125 ml red wine
- 250 ml single (pure) cream
- Pan-fry the broccoli in the oil over medium–high heat for 5 minutes, until beginning to char on the edges. Set aside on a plate.
- Pan-fry the steaks for 4 minutes each side for medium–rare. Remove and rest for 4 minutes.
- Add the butter and mushrooms to the same pan and fry for 2 minutes until golden. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to medium–low, add the cream and bring to a simmer.
- Slice the steak and return to the pan, along with the broccoli. Gently toss to coat in the sauce (you can let the steak simmer for a bit longer here if you prefer it a bit more done).
- Whisk straight to the table in the pan.