Our gluten-free mocha coffee cake is a decadent dessert that’s a must for coffee lovers. We start by baking a light and fluffy gluten-free cake and infuse it with the bold flavours of instant coffee and cocoa powder. The finished product is topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa. To take it up a notch, top it with choc-coated coffee beans!
Mocha Coffee Cake
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 1¼ cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ¼ cup gluten-free cocoa
- 250 g margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1½ cups cream
- ¼ cup gluten-free icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- gluten-free cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 26 x16 cm slice pan with baking paper, allowing edges to overhang the sides.
- To make cake, place dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine, then add remaining ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with your finger. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cake is cool, prepare the topping. Place water in a microwavesafe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top. Set aside for 5 minutes to bloom, then microwave for 10 seconds.
- Pour cream, icing sugar and vanilla into a bowl. Use an electric beater to whip until soft peaks form. Pour gelatin mixture through a strainer into the whipped cream. Stir to combine, then spread over cake.
- Dust with sifted cocoa powder before cutting into squares to serve.