Thanks to Brenda De La Piedra from One Hungry Mami for providing the recipe for this delicious raw fig tart with orange blossom custard. For more of Brenda’s delicious recipes visit http://onehungrymami.com/
Makes a 20cm round tart (12 slices)
6-8 fresh figs, chopped
1 cup raw pistachios
1 tablespoon coconut oil
pinch of Himalayan pink salt
2¼ cups of raw cashews (soaked overnight and rinsed)
1½ tsp orange blossom water
½ cup liquid sweetener of choice (I used coconut nectar)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
zest and juice of 1 medium orange
¼ – ½ cup of water
3 tablespoons soy lecithin** granules (optional-read note)
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and process until it resembles fine crumbs and mixture can hold together & you can form a ball.
- Spread over a lined 20cm springform cake tin, making sure that it’s the same thickness all the way around. You will need some of the mixture to come up the sides. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender, except the water and lecithin. Process until super smooth. If mixture is having trouble blending, add the water, starting with 1/4 cup first. This may be all you need. You want it to be a thick custard like consistency.
- Once it’s super smooth, and you are happy with the consistency, add the lecithin and blend again.
- Taste it and adjust the flavours if needed (more orange water if you want it a bit stronger, more sweetener if not sweet enough, e.t.c)
- Pour the custard into the prepared tin and place in the freezer for a couple of hours.
- When you are half an hour away from serving, take it out of the freezer and arrange the fresh figs on top.
**soy lecithin is used to thicken things up, so make sure you add it right at the end and that it’s in powder form if using. I just whizzed mine in the blender. You can also buy liquid lecithin but I’m yet to find some, besides, I rarely use it, however, I wanted the tart to hold it’s shape even if it was left out of the fridge (for presentation), which is why I added the lecithin. Like with all soy products, you should make sure they are organic and GMO free.