When I was little I used to love my grandmother’s pea & ham soup, but dried peas sometimes carry a ‘may contain gluten warning’ because of how they’re processed. So that everyone can enjoy this Gluten-Free Fresh Pea & Ham Soup we use peas straight from the freezer. It also adds a vibrant green hue to the finished soup.
Gluten-Free Fresh Pea & Ham Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk roughly chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 ham hock about 1.3kg
- 1 L gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 kg frozen peas
- fresh mint to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until soft (about 5 minutes). Add ham hock, stock and enough water to just cover the ham hock. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook until meat is falling off the bone (about 1 hour).
- Remove ham hock from saucepan and set aside to cool. Strain and reserve cooking liquid and any ham pieces. Discard vegetables and bay leaf.
- Return cooking liquid to the saucepan. You’ll need 2L of liquid. Top up with water if required. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then add frozen peas. Cook until tender (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a stick blender to purée soup until smooth. If mixture is too thick you can add more stock or water to achieve desired consistency.
- Discard bone and sinew from ham hock and shred meat. Stir through soup, keeping some reserved to serve (if desired).
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Serve hot, topped with shredded ham and mint leaves.