Perfect for Meat-Free Mondays these meatless meatballs will satisfy the whole family. Thanks to Cherylyn Mcmillan from Berries for Breakfast for sharing this gluten-free recipe.
- 400 g tin red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons basil paste gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons parsley paste gluten-free
- ¼ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- plain flour Gluten-free, to roll balls in
- Olive oil spray
- pasta Gluten-free, to serve
- pasta sauce Gluten-free, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Place beans, garlic, herb pastes, quinoa flakes and milk in a food processor. Blend until just combined. Don’t overdo blending; you want the mixture to have some texture to it.
- Put the mixture into a bowl and stir through the diced onion. Season to taste.
- Place flour in a separate bowl. Then using an ice cream scoop shape the mix into balls. Roll them lightly in the flour, then place balls on a lined oven tray. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake in moderate oven for 25 minutes. Turn the meatballs half way through cooking time.
- While meatballs are cooking in oven, you can cook your pasta.
- When meatballs are cooked, stir your favourite heated pasta sauce through meatballs and serve with gluten-free pasta.
This gluten-free recipe first appeared in Issue 8 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine as part of AGFL Talks. Click hear to learn more about Cherylyn and her fight against Crohn’s disease.