Thanks to Kate Crocker from Gluten-Free For Lunchboxes for providing this family-friendly gluten-free recipe for tuna and rice patties. For more of Kate’s recipes visit http://glutenfreeforlunchboxes.wordpress.com
Tuna and Rice Patties
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice or long grain white rice
- 425 g tuna chunks in springwater 1 tin, drained
- 150 g corn fresh or frozen
- 100 g peas frozen
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- 4 tablespoons whole egg
- mayonnaise gluten-free
- 40 g rice crumbs gluten-free
- salt and pepper to season
- 50 g rice crumbs gluten-free, extra
- 1/4 cup oil approximately, for frying
- Put rice and 500 ml boiling water in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic film and microwave on high for 7 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Allow to cool a little.
- In the meantime, put tuna into another large bowl and mash with a fork to break down the chunks.
- Add corn, peas, eggs, spring onion, mayonnaise, 40 g rice crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Combine.
- Add tuna mixture to cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Using very clean hands, shape dessert spoonfuls of the mixture into round discs.
- Put remaining 50 g rice crumbs into a bowl and roll the discs in the crumbs, gently shaking off the excess.
- Put onto a clean plate. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture.
- Cover plate with plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large fry pan, heat oil on a medium-high temperature. Fry the cakes in batches, approximately 10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on a wire rack and serve immediately, with green salad and mashed potato.