Missing soft pretzels? These gluten-free pretzel shapes are a delicious alternative.
Gluten-Free Pretzel Shapes
- ½ cup rice milk
- 7 g dry yeast active
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 250 g bread flour gluten-free
- 40 g margarine dairy-free
- ½ tablespoon baking powder gluten-free
- 1 litre water
- 2 tablespoons bi-carb soda
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Place milk in a heat-proof container and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Transfer into a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast.
- Leave for 2 minutes before adding sugar, flour, margarine and baking powder.
- Stir to combine and form a dough.
- Turn dough onto your work surface lightly floured with gluten-free plain flour and knead for 5-10 minutes, or until dough is smooth.
- Add more flour if needed.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Leave in a warm space to proof for 1.5 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough until it’s 0.5-1cm thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut shapes from the dough.
- Place water and bi-carb in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Carefully place dough shapes into the boiling water.
- Use an egg lifter to remove them as they float to the top.
- Place on lined baking tray and sprinkle with herbs and sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the pretzels.
- Return to oven for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.