Missing soft pretzels? These gluten-free pretzel shapes are a delicious alternative.
Prep time 20 minutes + proof time
Cooking time 15 minutes
½ cup rice milk
7g active dry yeast
1½ tablespoons sugar
250g gluten-free bread flour
40g dairy-free margarine
½ tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
1 litre water
2 tablespoons bi-carb soda
1 tablespoon dried herbs
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Place milk in a heat-proof container and microwave for 30 seconds. Transfer into a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast. Leave for 2 minutes before adding sugar, flour, margarine and baking powder. Stir to combine and form a dough.
- Turn dough onto your work surface lightly floured with gluten-free plain flour and knead for 5-10 minutes, or until dough is smooth. Add more flour if needed.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm space to proof for 1.5 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Use a rolling pin to roll dough until it’s 0.5-1cm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut shapes from the dough.
- Place water and bi-carb in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Carefully place dough shapes into the boiling water. Use an egg lifter to remove them as they float to the top. Place on lined baking tray and sprinkle with herbs and sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the pretzels. Return to oven for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.