This delicious sour eggplant side dish is a modified version of a street food sandwich. The lemon, along with the pomegranate molasses and pomegranate seeds, give the dish an amazing sweet-sour flavour. It pairs well with everything!
Batinjan Bi Hamud / Sour Eggplant
- 2 eggplants, cut lengthwise into four wedges
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, minced
- juice of 1 organic lemon
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 handful of pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the baking tray and brush or rub them with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Salt the eggplant well and roast in the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until golden brown and somewhat charred at the edges.
- Mix the tomato, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and the rest of the olive oil in a small bowl. Salt to taste.
- Place two pieces of the roasted eggplant on each plate and add some of the tomato salad. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses and sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds.