Ok, confession time. The first time we made these delicious muffins egg-free, it was completely by accident! But the result was so amazing that we had to share the recipe with you. These muffins are the perfect treat for anyone with an egg allergy or who simply wants to try something new.
Egg-Free Banana & Walnut Muffins
- 1½ cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sultanas
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 85 g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 225 g cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup gluten-free icing sugar
- walnut pieces, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place muffin cases in a12-hole muffin tin.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients, then pour into dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Spoon batter into liners and bake for 20 minutes or until top springs back when gently tapped. Cool muffins in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When muffins are completely cool prepare the frosting. Combine cream cheese and icing sugar in a bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Place a generous dollop of frosting on top of each muffin. Top with a walnut, if using. Allow frosting to set before serving.