Avocados have been blamed for the financial struggles of some millennials, but it’s not only younger Australians who have fallen in love with the nutty flavour of avocados. In fact, more avocados are consumed by Australians per capita than anywhere else in the English-speaking world. In 2017/2018, Australians consumed 3.5kg of avocado per person.
Avocados are not just a treat for the taste buds; they also pack a nutritional punch. Laden with healthy fats that aid in the absorption of essential fat-soluble nutrients, avocados play a role in controlling appetite by releasing hormones that signal fullness. Research indicates that avocado enthusiasts tend to weigh less, boast a lower BMI, and sport a smaller waist than those who steer clear of this versatile fruit.
Around two-thirds of the fat in avocados is monounsaturated fat, a key component for a healthy heart. Alongside olives, avocados are unique among fruits for containing these heart-healthy fats. The delectable combination of niacin, folate, potassium, and vitamins B5 and C in avocados promotes optimal brain and nervous system function. Starting your day with avocado can be a delightful way to enhance mood, boost energy levels, and combat fatigue.
Moreover, avocados make an excellent addition to the diet during pregnancy. Packed with folate for a healthy pregnancy, B vitamins to combat tiredness, and healthy fats to enhance nutrient absorption from other foods, avocados offer a delicious and nutritious option for expectant mothers. So, indulge in the creamy goodness of avocado and banana nice-cream, a delightful way to celebrate this beloved fruit’s versatility and health benefits.
Avocado & Banana Nice-Cream
- 4 ripe Australian Avocados deseeded and roughly chopped
- ¾ cup raw honey or rice malt syrup for vegan option
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 2 bananas sliced into thick chunks
- 4-6 large mint leaves
- gluten-free waffle cones to serve (optional)
- In a strong blender, add avocado flesh, honey, coconut milk, bananas and mint leaves. Blend until smooth. You want a completely, chunk-free consistency.
- Place mixture into a freezer-safe bowl and freeze for a minimum of two hours (overnight is preferable).
- When about to eat, defrost at room temperature for 15 minutes before digging in, this will help you be able to scoop those perfect rounds. Serve in gluten-free waffle cones, if desired.