Teff Arancini Balls
These gluten-free and vegetarian teff arancini balls from our friends at Teff Tribe are the perfect snack or light meal.
2 cups Teff Tribe Ivory Teff Grain
3 cups gluten-free vegetable stock
1 cup water
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red onion, finely diced
½ cup continental parsley, finely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
½ parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup mozzarella, grated
1 cup gluten-free corn crumbs
¼ cup milk
Oil for frying
Gluten-free napolitana sauce (optional)
Extra Parmesan (optional)
Chopped parsley (optional)
- Place teff, stock, peas, and water into a heavy based saucepan on medium heat. Stirring occasionally until all the water is absorbed.
- Add in onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add in parsley and cheeses and stir quickly for a couple of minutes until cheese is melted throughout.
- Set aside and cool until at least lukewarm, and mixture can be easily handled.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Roll teff mixture into balls a little bigger than golf balls.
- Dunk into egg mixture and immediately roll into corn crumbs until the ball is covered.
- Place onto a plate and repeat until all mixture is finished.
- Place into the fridge for one hour until cold.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and place arancini balls in a few at a time.
- Turn balls carefully as they are cooking until they are completely golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and repeat until all balls are cooked.
- Serve with napolitana sauce on top, extra Parmesan, and parsley.
This gluten-free recipe for Teff Arancini Balls first appeared in Issue 8 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine as part of our “Getting to know…Teff” feature. Thanks to our friends at Teff Tribe for the sharing this recipes.