These gluten-free and vegetarian teff arancini balls from our friends at Teff Tribe are the perfect snack or light meal.
Teff Arancini Balls
- 2 cups Teff Tribe Ivory Teff Grain
- 3 cups vegetable stock gluten-free
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red onion finely diced
- ½ cup continental parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- 1 cup corn crumbs gluten-free
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
Oil for frying
- Gluten-free napolitana sauce optional
- Extra Parmesan optional
- Chopped parsley optional
- Place teff, stock, peas, and water into a heavy based saucepan on medium heat. Stirring occasionally until all the water is absorbed.
- Add in onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add in parsley and cheeses and stir quickly for a couple of minutes until cheese is melted throughout.
- Set aside and cool until at least lukewarm, and mixture can be easily handled.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Roll teff mixture into balls a little bigger than golf balls.
- Dunk into egg mixture and immediately roll into corn crumbs until the ball is covered.
- Place onto a plate and repeat until all mixture is finished.
- Place into the fridge for one hour until cold.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and place arancini balls in a few at a time.
- Turn balls carefully as they are cooking until they are completely golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and repeat until all balls are cooked.
- Serve with napolitana sauce on top, extra Parmesan, and parsley.
This gluten-free recipe for Teff Arancini Balls first appeared in Issue 8 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine as part of our “Getting to know…Teff” feature. Thanks to our friends at Teff Tribe for the sharing this recipes.