With the combination of melt-in-your-mouth chocolate, crunchy nuts, chewy fruit and fluffy popcorn, this gut-loving, prebiotic rocky road treat trumps your standard rocky road on flavour. Your gut microbes will get quite the feast of phytochemicals, prebiotics and 5g of fibre per slice, using just store-cupboard ingredients. Plus, the cocoa flavanols in dark chocolate could even boost your brain power!
Prebiotic Rocky Road
- 300 g gluten-free dark chocolate min. 70%
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus extra for popping corn
- 100 g hazelnuts chopped in half
- 30 g corn kernels or natural popcorn
- 50 g brazil nuts roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mixed seeds
- 90 g dried figs chopped
- 50 g goji berries
- 30 g coconut flakes
- 90 g dried mango chopped
- Toast the hazelnuts. Heat the oven to 200°C and place the nuts on a baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove and set aside to cool.
- To pop the corn, heat a splash of virgin olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the corn kernels and shake gently to cover them in the oil. Put the lid on and the corn will start popping after a couple of minutes. Shake the saucepan occasionally to prevent burning. The corn should have finished popping after approx. 3–5 minutes.
- Pour the popcorn into a large bowl and mix with all the ingredients apart from the chocolate, reserving a handful of the goji berries, mango, nuts and coconut flakes to decorate the top of the rocky road.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof mixing bowl. Either place over a simmering pan of boiling water to melt or heat in the microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring in between.Stir in the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, before pouring over the dry ingredients and mixing everything together well.
- Line a 900g loaf tin with non-stick baking paper, pour the mixture into the tin. Scatter the reserved dry ingredients on top and press down. Place in the fridge to set (approx. 4 hours).
- Once set, pull the rocky road out of the tin using the baking paper, and with a sharp knife cut into 15 slices and store in an airtight container in the fridge.