The holiday season is upon us, and there’s nothing quite like the aroma of freshly baked goodies wafting through the air. What better way to spread holiday cheer than with a batch of delightful Merry and Bright Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies. These cookies are a sight to behold, with their golden-brown edges and perfectly soft centres that simply melt in your mouth. These cookies also make for a thoughtful and heartfelt gift for your friends and family, spreading joy and cheer in a way that only homemade treats can.
Tips for Perfect Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
Ensuring perfect gluten-free sugar cookies every time involves a combination of precision, attention to detail, and a touch of baking intuition. Here are some tips to elevate your sugar cookie baking game:
Measure Ingredients Accurately: Use precise measurements for all ingredients, especially flour. Too much flour can result in dry and crumbly cookies, while too little can make them spread too much.
Silpat or Baking (Parchment) Paper: Line your baking tray (sheet) with Silpat mats or baking (parchment paper) to prevent cookies from sticking and ensure even baking.
Check Oven Temperature: Invest in an oven thermometer to verify that your oven temperature matches the setting. Baking at the correct temperature is crucial for achieving the desired texture.
Rotate Baking Sheets: For even baking, rotate your baking sheets halfway through the baking time. This helps ensure that cookies on different parts of the tray cook uniformly.
Watch the Clock: Keep a close eye on the baking time, especially toward the end. Over-baking can lead to dry cookies, so aim to remove them from the oven when the edges are lightly golden.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating gluten-free sugar cookies perfect for festive gifting.
Merry & Bright Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter (or dairy-free margarine) softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 flour
- Gluten-free fondant
- Gluten-free sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line 3 x baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add baking powder and flour and use a wooden spoon to beat until combined. Work mixture into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Break a section of dough and place it between two sheets of baking paper. Roll dough out until it’s 5mm thick. Use a circular cookie cutter to cut into shapes. Place on prepared baking trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with remaining dough and any dough scraps until all the dough is shaped.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are golden. Remove from oven and leave on trays to cool completely.
- When cookies have cooled, roll out fondant until a few millimeters thick. Use a cookie cutter the size down from the cookies to cut into shape. If using a stamp, press into fondant, then gently lift and place in the centre of cookies. Repeat until all of the cookies have been topped. Decorate with gluten-free sprinkles, if desired.