Birthdays and other special celebrations mean cake, and this one is sure to be the crowning glory of yours! You won’t believe it when you taste it, but yes, this moist, zingy lemon coconut cake is low-carb. Top it with fluffy whipped cream and finish it with crunchy toasted coconut flakes, then dig right in.
Low-Carb Lemon Coconut Cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- ⅓ cup melted ghee or virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup collagen powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 15 ml unsweetened vanilla extract
- low-carb sweetener, to taste optional
- ½ cup unsweetened large coconut flakes
- 1 cup whipping cream or coconut cream
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- 1½ teaspoons unsweetened vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 140°C fan assisted or 160°C conventional. Line a baking tray with parchment paper (or use a silicone tray). A square 20 × 20cm or a rectangular tray of similar size will work best.
- To make the base: whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, melted ghee, lemon juice and lemon zest. In a third bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, collagen, baking soda, vanilla and optional sweetener.
- Add the whisked egg yolk–ghee mixture into the dry mixture and combine well. Gently fold in the egg whites, trying not to deflate them.
- Pour into the baking tray. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until lightly golden on top and set inside. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before adding the topping.
- To make the topping: preheat the oven to 175°C fan assisted or 195°C conventional. Place the coconut flakes on a baking tray and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once the cake is cool, place the cream, mascarpone and vanilla in a bowl. Whip until soft peaks form. Spread on top of the cooled cake and top with the toasted coconut flakes.
- To store, refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Coconut flakes will soften in the fridge. If you want to keep them crunchy, sprinkle on top of each slice before serving.