Need to whip up a party treat in a hurry? These beautiful gluten-free lemon meringue fairy cakes require only a few ingredients, but that’s just between us.
Gluten-Free Lemon Meringue Fairy Cakes
- 1 packet cupcake mix gluten-free
- ½ cup lemon curd gluten-free
- 18 baby meringues gluten-free, store-bought or made using the recipe below
FOR THE MERINGUES
- 2 eggs whites
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare cupcakes according to directions on the pack. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the meringues, pre-heat oven to 150° Line a baking tray with baking paper. Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy. Stir through vanilla. Spoon meringue mixture into a piping bag and pipe small dots onto prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until dry but not brown.
- When cupcakes have cooled use a sharp knife to remove a small scoop of cake. Leave about 1cm of cupcake around the edge.
- In the hole carefully place 1 teaspoon lemon curd and top with a baby meringue. Repeat for all cupcakes and serve immediately.
This gluten-free recipe first appeared in Issue 5 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine. Pick up a copy today for more mouth-watering gluten-free cake recipes.
Photography by Brandee Meier Photography.