Missing Chinese food since adopting a gluten-free diet? Our gluten-free honey prawns are so good even the fussiest eater won’t be able to tell the difference.
Gluten-Free Honey Prawns
- 1 cup plain flour gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons baking powder gluten-free
- 1 cup mineral water
- ¼ cup cornflour gluten-free
- 12-20 green prawns peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Rice bran oil for deep-frying
- 2-3 chopped shallots finely chopped
- Place flour in a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Add mineral water and baking powder and stir to combine. Do not over-beat.
- Coat each prawn in a little cornflour, then tip into batter and coat well. Shake of any excess batter.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Carefully place each prawn in the hot oil and fry for 5-7 minutes (depending on the thickness of the prawn) until the batter is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Drain oil from saucepan and melt honey over medium heat for a minute. Add prawns and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over prawns. Remove from pan and serve immediately topped with shallots.
This recipe for Gluten-Free Honey Prawns is extracted from Issue 4 of Australian Gluten-Free Life. For more delicious gluten-free makeovers pick up a copy today.
Recipe by Sandra Basic. Image by Brandee Meier.