Footy food at its best! Buffalo wings are a firm favourite, but traditionally they’re deep-fried in refined oil and not a healthy choice at all. Our version is baked instead and the result is just as delicious. The spicy sauce does contain butter and maple syrup, but only in small quantities and they are essential for the flavour.
This recipe is extracted from The Feel-Good Family Food Plan by Dr Joanna McMillan with Melissa Clark.
Need more gluten-free appetizers or finger food recipes? The hunt is over. Click here to discover our favourites.
Baked Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Yoghurt Sauce
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 18 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 40 g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup 60ml gluten-free chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 4 celery stalks cut into batons
Blue cheese yoghurt sauce
- 100 g Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- ½ cup Greek-style yoghurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ garlic clove crushed
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make the blue cheese yoghurt sauce, mash the cheese with a fork, then whisk in the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C. Line a baking tray with foil. Place a wire rack on top of the tray and brush the rack with the oil to help prevent the wings from sticking.
- Cut each chicken wing through the joints to create three pieces. Discard the wing tips or reserve them for stock. Pat the wings dry with paper towel, removing as much moisture as possible. Put them in a resealable plastic bag with the baking powder. Seal the bag and shake to coat the wings.
- Put the wings on the wire rack, skin side up. Bake on the lower shelf of the oven for 30 minutes. Increase the heat to 220°C and move the tray to the top shelf. Bake for 40 minutes or until the wings are golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the chilli sauce and maple syrup. Transfer the cooked wings to a large bowl and pour in the spicy sauce, tossing to coat the wings.
- Serve the wings with the celery and blue cheese sauce.