Chilli Con Carne-Stuffed Capsicums are a delicious, filling dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Chilli Con Carne-Stuffed Capsicums
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for greasing
- 20 g slightly salted butter
- 500 g lean beef mince or gluten-free veggie mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ red chilli deseeded and very finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 400 g can of gluten-free chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can of gluten-free red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 150 ml gluten-free beef stock ideally reduced-salt
- 4 –6 green capsicums depending on size
- 150 g mature Cheddar cheese grated
- 100 g crème fraîche
- 30 g coriander leaves roughly torn
- Place the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the beef or veggie mince, onion and sliced chilli and fry for 5 minutes, breaking up any lumps –the butter will help the mince to brown.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chilli powder and fry for 2–3 minutes, then add the tomatoes, beans and stock and cook gently for 10 minutes until a gravy starts to form.Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a baking tray with the extra oil.
- Slice the top off the capsicums and scoop out the seeds,aiming to keep the flesh otherwise intact. Place them on the baking tray; I find it works best to use a small tray so that you can pack the capsicums in to help them stay upright.
- Spoon the chilli into the capsicums until it is almost spilling over the sides. Sprinkle the cheese on top and roast in the oven for 15 minutes until the peppers start to brown and the cheese bubbles.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche and a scattering of coriander.