This one-pot spin on spanakorizo, or Greek spinach rice, is bursting with flavour, thanks to aromatic herbs, zingy lemon, creamy feta and a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Cauliflower replaces rice in this recipe, making it suitable for those following a low-carb diet. If you’re a particular fan of garlic, feel free to add extra. Garlic has been recognised as one of several vegetables with anticancer properties.
- 1 large cauliflower
- ¼ cup extra-virgin avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 200 g frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry, then chopped weight excludes water squeezed out
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ cup chopped mixed fresh herbs of your choice such as parsley, oregano, basil, rosemary and dill
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup black olives, sliced optional
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Run the cauliflower florets through a hand grater or food processor with the grating blade. Process until the florets resemble grains of rice.
- Grease a large, shallow, ovenproof saucepan or a casserole dish with the avocado oil and add the onion. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the cauliflower rice and lemon juice and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the spinach, lemon zest and herbs (optionally, reserve some herbs for garnish). Cook to heat through for just 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with the crumbled feta and, optionally, olives. Place under a griller for 3 to 5 minutes, until the feta is lightly browned. Finally, drizzle with the olive oil and serve. To store, let cool and place in a sealed container. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.