Mix up your breakfast routine with this gluten-free bagel recipe.
Makes 8 bagels
Prep time: 30 minutes + 1 hour to proof
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Gluten-Free Bagel Ingredients
7g dried yeast
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1½ cups warm water
3½ cups gluten-free self-raising flour
2 teaspoons psyllium husk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon oil
- Combine yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until mixture has begun to foam.
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and add yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir until a dough forms.
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll into a ball then press you finger into the middle of the ball to create a hole. Use your thumbs to stretch the hole do your desired size. Place on a lined baking tray and flatten slightly with you palm.
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and using a slotted spoon place the bagels into the water. Boil for a minute on each side. Place boiled bagels back on the lined baking tray and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe for Gluten-Free Bagels first appeared in Issue 8 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine. Pick up a copy for more gluten-free dough recipes.