Parsnip and Banana Loaf
Hiding vegetables can be a drama-free way to get fussy eaters to increase their vegie intake. Even those who regularly turn up their nose to parsnips will be asking for a second slice of our parsnip and banana gluten-free loaf!
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup crushed walnuts, plus extra to decorate
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1½ cups peeled and coarsely grated parsnips (approx 2 parsnips)
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup gluten-free icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Handful of dried banana chips, to decorate (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and line a 22x12cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- Place spices, sugar, walnuts, flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl place, parsnips, banana, beaten eggs and olive oil. Stir to combine, then pour into the dry mixture. Stir until just combined, then pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave in tin to cool.
- When cool, combine icing sugar and water in a bowl. Place cake on serving platter and drizzle icing over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Sprinkle with extra walnuts and banana chips to serve.