You’ll jump out of bed when these gluten-free hotcakes are on the breakfast menu.
Prep time 10 minutes + 20 minutes resting time
Cooking time 5 minutes
1½ cups gluten-free plain flour
1½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
3 tablespoons caster sugar
1 cup light milk
3 tablespoons butter melted
2 bananas, sliced into 1cm thick pieces
¼ cup butter
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup milk
1 cup ricotta, to serve
- Sift together flour, baking powder and caster sugar. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, milk and butter.
- Pour milk mix into flour mix. Beat until smooth. Rest 20 minutes.
- Heat a crepe pan on medium. Spray very lightly with spray oil. Pour ¼ cup of mixture into pan and spread slightly. Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip and cook other side for 30 seconds. Remove and keep warm while cooking remainder of hotcakes.
- Place butter and brown sugar in a small frying pan over medium heat. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil after butter has melted and stir through milk. Add bananas and toss to coat. Remove from heat.
- Serve hotcakes piled on plate with a tablespoon of ricotta between each hotcake. Top with caramelised banana before serving.
This recipe for gluten-free hotcakes first appeared in Issue 7 of Australian Gluten-Free Life magazine as Hotcakes with Ricotta and Caramelised Banana. For more gluten-free breakfast recipes pick up a copy today.
Gluten-Free Hotcakes – Recipe by Sandra Basic and Photography by Brandee Meier